Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Car Door and A Bad Day

I had an interesting experience this morning.

I was in a good mood. I parked my car in the parking lot at work with a smile on my face. I would’ve been whistling had I known how to whistle. I opened my car door with a little too much force and grazed the car next to me.

Oops.

I checked to make sure there was no damage to the other car – there wasn’t – and proceeded to walk towards the office building, still smiling.

“Excuse me.”

I looked around. I looked up at the office building next to me. I didn’t see anyone, so I continued walking.

“Excuse me, miss.” A little louder this time.

Finally I found the voice.

There was a man sticking his head out of the second floor window, apparently intent on ruining my day.

“You just slammed your door open into my ****** truck!!!”

“Did I? I’m sorry.”

“Of course you’re sorry.”  Slam.

Sheesh. Did he get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. And how did he see me anyway? Does he stick his head out of the window all day checking to make sure that no one damages his precious car?

As I continued walking to my office, my smile turned contemplative.

This guy was having a bad day. He chose to take it out on me. Did I do something wrong? Maybe. Did what I did warrant his attack on me? Probably not.

Did I want to let this sourpuss put me in an awful mood for the rest of the day? Absolutely not!

And then it hit me harder than my car door hit the other guy’s car.

My mood is my own.

I alone control how I feel.

If I choose to let something bother me, well then, that’s my problem. If, however, I choose to let things roll off my back, kol hakavod for me. Why should I let my day be spoiled by someone else’s bad day?

And I walked into my office attempting to whistle.

3 comments:

aminspiration said...

It is soo true! So often people say..how could I have done any differently? I cannot choose how I feel! But the truth is that we do have the power to pick our thoughts which lead to our attitude..etc..

itsagift said...

First of all, welcome back! It's good to read from you again!

Wow, that's such a good point. You and you alone are the one who are in charge of your attitude and how you react to things. Good for you that you didn't let it ruin your day (and I'm happy for you-and your car-that you didn't scratch his precious car)!!

Does this mean you are back to blogging again? I hope so!!

MusingMaidel said...

@itsagift - I was never really gone. I just had a bad case of writer's block. I don't think that one post got me out of it, but you never know. Maybe you'll be seeing me around more often.

Related Posts with Thumbnails